Friday, January 30, 2009

Mommie Dearest

Picture it: Antiques Roadshow, 2035. Melanie has brought her set of 12 "Collectible Jewelry Boxes" to be appraised:


POTTERY EXPERT: So, can you tell me a little bit about these?

MELANIE: Sure can! They were my mothers. She bought them back in 2009 and they've been in our family ever since.

POTTERY EXPERT: Interesting. Let's take a look here (lifts one, turns it over, purses lips)

MELANIE: I sure hope they're worth a lot of money. (big, exaggerated, annoying laugh)

POTTERY EXPERT: I'm sorry. But these are garbage. You see this inscription here? It says Made in Taiwan. You are actually losing money the longer you own them.

MELANIE: It can't be! My mother told us that they'd be worth a lot of money some day! Right on her death bed, she told me!

POTTERY EXPERT: I think your mother has had the last laugh here, Melanie. My advice would be to cut your losses and smash them with a hammer when you get home.

Set of 12 ceramic boxes have lids that are abloom in colorful blossoms. Perfect for storing earrings, rings, rare coins, baby's first tooth­--anything that is close to your heart. Hand painted. Each 2"Diameter.14.99

No comments: