Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Guess How Much: Have a Seat, Please

I'm a firm believer that if you look long enough, you'll find something stupid, even at the New York Transit Museum Store where, at first glance, everything is bathed in the same tacky light that proves irresistible to the hoards of tourists currently invading visiting our city. I pretty much gave up until I clicked on their "What's New" link.

And I hit paydirt.

Guess How Much for this subway map chair? Is it:
A) $30
B) $450
C) $900
D) $2,100
E) don't ask
Click Read More to find out and see the "other color". You'll want to put down that cup of coffee.

E is for EXPENSIVE. These uncomfortable looking chairs retail for $2,200 - each. Not for the pair, not for all three. $2,200 EACH, for a chair that looks like a paper mache project gone awry? No thank you, I'll keep my ratty old couch. Scroll to the bottom for the official, pretentious description.

Each chair has been 'HUMANUFACTURED' and has been hand-made in Boris Bally's Providence, Rhode Island art studio. The pieces are hand cut and edges shaped and filed- the bends are done carefully by hand. The chairs are then hand-washed and sealed. Each chair is dated and bears Boris' signature. Each is a one-of-a-kind work of art: No two are exactly identical...The signs used in their construction are reflective aluminum signs which have been inspired by the famous (punchy? wonderful? colorful?) New York MTA graphics. (This series has been officially licensed by the MTA). Size: 32 x 17 x 11" materials: NYC Subway graphics on traffic signs, champagne corks, hardware techniques: humanufactured (hand-fabricated, pierced. brake- formed) [source - MTA Store]

3 comments:

Moda di Magno said...

I am rendered speechless. I want to mock the chair and the concept of humanufactured, but I'm left drooling in my chair with a lap blanket...

nikoeternal.com said...

i think it would be cool if u added those poll thingies to the guess how much posts so we could see how much everybody else guessed. lets go to the transit museum! i havent been since the 4th grade :-D

Chris said...

I don't get enough hits to justify one of those poll thingies.