Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Twinkie Tuesdays 9: That's NOT Italian


"When my sister returned from living in Italy for a time, she grew homesick for the desserts she had enjoyed there. So I decided to try my hand at tiramisu, but replaced the ladyfingers with Twinkies, which we had all grown up on. She liked it just as much as the original!"

ZEPHIR PLUME, BOULDER, COLORADO

Twinkie-misu
1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
1 3/4 cups milk
1/4 cup Amaretto
1 cup strong coffee, warmed
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup Kahlua
2 cups frozen nondairy whipped topping, thawed
10 Twinkies

Unsweetened cocoa, for dusting
In a bowl, combine the pudding mix, milk, and Amaretto and whisk. Set aside until quite thick.

In a separate, small bowl, combine the coffee, sugar, and Kahlua and mix until the sugar dissolves. Refrigerate until cool. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and set the Twinkies on the paper. Slowly drizzle the coffee mixture over each Twinkie, allowing the liquid to soak in.

Fold the whipped topping into the pudding mixture. Spoon one-third of the pudding mixture into an 8 by 8 inch baking dish.

Arrange the Twinkies evenly over the pudding. Spoon the remaining pudding over the Twinkies.

Refrigerate for 1 hour, or until set. Dust with cocoa just before serving.

Because I know that if I lived in Italy for a while, I would come back and let my sister substitute the main ingredient of a classic Italian dessert with off-the-shelf American junk food.

3 comments:

nikoeternal.com said...

lol see how much better that works? :-P

Chris said...

Oh shut up. I want all the Twinkie posts to look the same. Don't make me come over there.

nikoeternal.com said...

I'm scurred! *shaking*